Monday, November 22, 2010

The French word for pumpkin is citrouille


As you may or may not know, my favorite (and only) daughter currently resides in France. She snagged a position with the French Ministry of Education as a part time assistant teacher of English in the French public school system for this academic year.

As I became aware when I visited the daughter on her first French adventure as a college junior studying abroad, the French have a very different culinary relationship with the pumpkin. Canned pumpkin is simply not available for pie making. They are very confused about the whole Halloween thing. If you are in France on October 31, make your way to an English pub if you wish celebrate the holiday.


These pumpkins while supposedly French were found in Asheville, North Carolina.


French pumpkins are either called citroille or potirons. It seems to me the really large ones are the potirons. An entry on David Lebovitz's fabulous blog tells about cooking French potiron.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/10/roasted-pumpkin-recipe-potimarron-kuri-hokkaido-squash/




Somehow I lost the first letter in the photograph above, it reads:

Jack was never the same after the operation




Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Carina






1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jack for going under the knife for the good of all. He said "I regret that I have but one life to give for my country." Bravo, Jacques!

    ReplyDelete