Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Meds...oh...the Meds


For many people a diagnosis of shingles brings weeks of nasty, burning nerve pain along paths called dermatomes. Shingles is caused by the virus varicella-zoster, the same virus that gives you chickenpox on the first go around. The virus then goes dormant and lurks within your body. For reasons as yet unknown, the virus suddenly becomes active again, and viola, shingles is the result.

While I would rather have skipped the entire adventure, I breezed through one of the mildest cases of shingles. My response to the prescribed medications were more of a bother than the disease itself.


The Lyrica prescribed to deal with nerve pain was never opened. Valacyclovir, the antiviral taken three times daily was not a big deal either. The steroid taper was another story entirely.

Prednisone comes with a whole long list of possible side effects, but for me it was as if someone had turned up the internal volume and revved my motor Not known as a low energy person, steroids gave me motor mouth, unfocused energy and insomnia. Side effects were not unlike certain street drugs of the 70's with names like white cross and black beauties. They weren't my cup of tea back then and I was more then happy when this 12 day prescription had been completed.

February is shaping up to be a busy month with multiple collaborative project due dates. I'm hoping to photograph a few of those and give you a peek at a variety of projects, showcasing the work of a host of different artists.

Carina




No comments:

Post a Comment