Saturday, October 29, 2011

John Oates





You remember John Oates, don't you, half the duo of Hall and Oates, the most successful duo in rock history with 13 gold or platinum soul-infused albums and 26 Top 30 singles. Oates co-wrote three of their No. 1 hits -- "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)," "Maneater" and "Out of Touch" - as well as top singles "Sara Smile," "You Make My Dreams," "She's Gone" and "Adult Education."

John and his band played at the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion Festival in September. My daughter and I caught John in performance at last event on the State Street stage, the last day of the festival - the All-Star Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers Revival. It was definitely a tribute to the origins of Bristol's musical heritage. The Black Lillies' Cruz Contreras led the assembled band. A band that included the likes of John Oates, Carrie Rodriguez on fiddle, Michelle Malone, Darrell Scott, Dale Ann Bradley, Robinella, Langhorn Slim and others. On time and in tune they loaded up and played the heck out of a batch of Carter Family and Jimmie Rodgers songs.

Trying to give the 24 year old daughter some additional music history and background, I was explaining John Oates career trajectory, including Hall and Oates.



The daughter gave my a semi-incredulous look and explained that she had indeed heard of that band but had always thought that it was named

Holland Oats


Wonder if she ever saw this album cover?

Carina

1 comment:

  1. I remember Hall and Oats! No breakfast cereal thats for sure! LOL

    Thanks for entering my giveaway, I put you in for the bonus as well. best of luck.
    Lynn
    P.s. your comment about loganberry cracked me up! LOL

    ReplyDelete