Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pro-choice and pro-Wisconsin


First let me offer a disclaimer. I do have a vested interest in what happens in Wisconsin. I grew up in the state, attended the University of Wisconsin-Madison and worked 3 1/2 years as a state employee. A few of my in-laws still work for the state.

Various progressive organizations were urging people to go to their own state capitols on Saturday to demonstrate solidarity with Wisconsin workers, but with Nashville, Tennessee 4 1/2 hours away and Richmond, Virginia over 5 hours distant, I felt I would have to live with my regrets.

The spousal unit and I made a day trip to Asheville, North Carolina, when what should appear but a multifunctional demonstration downtown at Pack Square. It was entirely off my radar. A quick check with Move-On.org had told me there were no planned demonstrations within 200 miles of my zip code and Asheville is only 85 miles away.


Relatively warm and sunny weather, an energized crowd and two, count them two, causes I could endorse wholeheartedly. Well, what's an old hippie to do but join in?



Various drummers kept the chants coordinated and the energy level high.


The group included young and old citizen participants.

Drivers honked their horns and gave thumbs up as they drove past.
Asheville, in its spirit and attitude, reminds me of Madison Wisconsin.

Wishing the Wisconsin workers the very best of luck in convincing their hot-head governor to come to his senses.

Carina

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds great. Glad you had your chance to 'show the flag' as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the girl's Boehner poster (O:

    ReplyDelete