Saturday, May 9, 2009

Identity Confirmed






When posting back in April, I did not know the name of this little woodland iris growing in my backyard. It was given to me a few years ago by Marty Masker.



Since then, Marty has gotten in touch to let me know that it is a Dwarf Crested Iris (Iris cristata). This iris blooms on the previous years growth, explaining why it took a little while to settle in here and become notable. The plant likes shade and good drainage making it ideal for dry, rocky ground that Marty has at the cabin. It makes it in my yard, secondary to drainage provided by my sloped terrain and the water thieving ways of all those tree roots.

Iris cristata is a native to the southeastern US and can be found extensively in the Smoky Mountains.

Carina

No comments:

Post a Comment